Tread Lightly is an organization that partners with others who aid in supporting their initiative to protect and enhance recreation access and opportunities by promoting outdoor ethics to heighten individuals’ sense of good stewardship. They offer a wide range of free or paid online and in person training courses to fit the needs of many outdoor recreational activities.
T- Travel Responsible
- Stay on designated roads, trails and areas
- Go over, not around, obstacles to avoid widening the trails.
- Cross streams only at designated crossings.
- When possible, avoid wet, muddy trails.
R- Respect the Rights of Others
- Private property owners
- All recreational trail users, campers and others
- Leave gates as you find them.
- Yield right of way to those passing you or going uphill.
E- Educate Yourself
- Obtain travel maps and regulations from public agencies
- Take recreation skills classes
- Know how to operate your equipment safely.
A- Avoid Sensitive Areas
- Meadows, lake shores, wetlands and streams.
- Always ride with caution any time water is present.
- Wet soils are more susceptible to damage.
- Stay on designated routes.
- Don’t disturb historical, archeological or paleontological sites.
D- Do Your Part
- Model appropriate behavior
- Leave the area better than you found it
- Properly dispose of waste
- Minimize the use of fire
- Avoid the spread of invasive species
- Repair degraded areas